Search My Blog

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Banana Blueberry Muffins (Whole Wheat)


I am always looking for new muffin recipes. Oh, and I am always looking for ways to use up bananas. Seemingly endless amounts of bananas.

You are probably wondering why I have so many bananas. It's not like I grow them in my backyard. I actually buy 2-3 bunches of organic bananas each week and always seem to have some overripe ones left over in the end. Why not buy less bananas you ask? Because my biggest pet peeve is not having ripe bananas around to eat and send to daycare, and we all know that the bananas in the grocery store are usually far from ripe and they ripen at varying speeds. So, I buy lots, using what we need throughout the week, and baking with or freezing the ones that ripen quicker than we can eat them. And this means that I always have bananas in the freezer for smoothies, baking, and popsicle making!

This week in particular, I was confronted with a ton a overripe bananas and a massive harvest of blueberries from our garden. So, off I went in search of a muffin in which I could use both. Of course, for those of you who follow my blog, I also like to make my food child friendly, which means less sugar and whole wheat flour or oats where possible.

And so this muffin came to be :) A banana blueberry whole wheat muffin with a tiny bit of citrus to kick things up. Yum yum!

Banana Blueberry Muffins (Whole Wheat)
Makes 12 muffins

2/3 cup 1% Milk
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
1 Large Egg
1/2 cup Banana, ripe and mashed
Zest of 1/2 Large Orange
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup Blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 12 muffin tins.

In a large bowl, beat together the milk, oil and egg. Mix in the banana and orange zest. 

In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. 

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Fold in the blueberries. 

Divide the batter evenly among muffin cups and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment