Search My Blog

Sunday, December 15, 2013

(It doesn't have to be leftover) Eggnog Muffins


During the holidays, there is an abundance of eggnog to drink. Not only can you buy it and drink it plain, but you can also drink it in a bar with rum, at a coffee shop in a latte and of course, at every holiday party that you attend.

Not only that, but eggnog makes an appearance in a plethora of food items as well. Eggnog cookies, eggnog cupcakes, eggnog ice cream... the list goes on and on.

A lot of people buy eggnog to have at their house for entertaining. I, however, am not one of those people. I rarely buy eggnog because I honestly don't really like to drink it. But, I just happened to have some leftover eggnog in my fridge this week because my sister brought some over. So, like many others out there, I went online to figure out what I could do with this leftover eggnog. And I came across some eggnog muffins that seemed like they might do the trick.

Eggnog muffins? Seems like a great way to use up leftover eggnog. I like muffins, and they can be frozen if they aren't all eaten right away. So I thought I would try them, with a few tweaks of my own of course. Wow, was I ever surprised. Not only did these muffins smell amazing while baking, but they were moist and delicious! So delicious that the entire dozen were quickly devoured.

Hmmm... could it be that these muffins are so good that I need to actually buy eggnog just to make them? The answer is yes. These are not just "leftover eggnog" muffins. These are also "need to run to the store and buy some eggnog so I can make those muffins" muffins. 

So, when you have some leftover eggnog kicking around this year, try these muffins. If you like them as much as I did, you might find yourself adding eggnog to the grocery list!

(It doesn't have to be leftover) Eggnog Muffins
Makes 12 Muffins
Recipe modified from http://www.atthebakersbench.com/ 

1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour 
1 cup All Purpose Flour 
1/2 cup Quick Oats (not instant)
1/2 cup Sugar 
1 tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Large Egg, beaten 
1 1/2 cups Eggnog 
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease or line 12 muffin cups and set aside.

In a large bowl, stir together all dry ingredients. 

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg. Then whisk in the eggnog, oil and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not overmix. 

Divide the batter amongst the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment