Search My Blog

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Baked Sweet Potato Fries


They say that most people have a preference for either salty or sweet. Me, I love salty. So, when I am in the mood for something comforting, I turn to savory favorites. And as a snack, I often think about eating things like crackers, nuts, chips, and fries.

Most of the time, I can let the day go by without succumbing to my desire to eat these kinds of snacks, because I know that some of them aren't the healthiest of choices (i.e. chips and fries). But sometimes, I just can't get them out of my head.

Today was one of those days. I wanted fries. Badly.

So, I decided to turn on the oven and make some baked fries in hopes that they would satisfy this urge. And to make them even healthier (and in my opinion, more delicious), I made them with sweet potatoes. 

The result? Crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle, salty and flavourful with that perfect balance of sweet potato sweetness. They were delicious.

I made a garlic mayonnaise to go with them. I used pure olive oil mayonnaise, yogurt, fresh garlic and lemon juice.

Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Serving for 1 person

1 Sweet Potato
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
1 tbsp Fresh Rosemary, chopped  
(you could use any herbs or spices that you like)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
Cut the sweet potato into sticks about 1/2 inch thick. Place them in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and add a generous pinch of salt and the rosemary. Toss to coat.

Place the sweet potatoes on the lined baking sheet in a single layer so that they brown evenly. Bake for about 15 minutes, then turn the potatoes over on the sheet and bake for another 15 minutes until nicely browned. Serve with garlic aioli for dipping.

Garlic Aioli
2 tbsp Mayonnaise (can use reduced fat)
1/4 cup Plain Yogurt
1 large Clove Garlic, minced finely
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients into a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment